Player Runs

Questions Concerning the Master Draft

Moderator: Mike_FFMastermind

enduro8
Sophomore

Player Runs

Post by enduro8 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:03 am

I am wondering how folks factor in player runs at certain positions. Mathmatically how might we factor this into our strategy?

I did an average from the last 5 fantasy drafts of my league to see how many players from each position are typicall drafted at a certain spot in the draft. From that I can locate typical runs of players (WRs in the 4th round for example).

How could I use this data to my advantage? I tried to overlay where I saw the cluster breaks at certain positions to see where I might come in at the end of a cluster or just miss one.

Analytically speaking I am sure this is going way too deep and maybe there is not much that can be gained from this, but I thought I would throw it out there in this forum since the Master Draft does seem to use alot of math to calculate different senarios for a person.

All I can gather is to not get caught up in a run if it crosses below a value cluster at that position in the middle (and your pick is after that value drop is reached).

tdishman
Professional

Post by tdishman » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:40 am

From my own personal experience, that kind of knowledge is very valuable to be aware of and have, but very difficult to incorporate into a pre-meditated strategy. However, there are some situations where I would specifically use the knowledge you've collected.

I would most frequently use that data to project what players will be available with my next pick. If I suspect a huge run of WR's is about to occur, I should realize that the QB I could take next round will not be much different than the QB I want to take right now.

shodan9999
Senior

Post by shodan9999 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:23 pm

I try not to get caught up in runs...this is year 17 for me...I have found that runs most often allow you the chance to pick up good value at other pos. so I watch for them ...but I do not factor them into my player list.

sho
FF forever !
Steve Carter